Which Warhammer 40,000 game should I play first?

EfficientNinja

Hi everyone!

I'm quite new to the Warhammer 40k franchise. I would like to know which of the ones available on Steam I should play first. I see there's a lot of games in this franchise that are listed and I might get them on Steam Sale.

Which Warhammer 40,000 game should I play first?

Thanks!

If you are into strategy games, you should play Dawn of War 1/2 and their expansions.
If you like third person shooters, you might try Space Marine. Other than those, I'm not aware of any good 40K games. There was a couple of games released in the 90s that are apparently good (or were good at the time), but that is ancient now so I haven't played them myself.

I would go with Dawn of War as well just because of the game play but it kind of depends on what you are looking for. Eternal Crusade was pretty entertaining but I am not sure I would recommend that one.

Thanks for the recommendations! I hope all of those goes on sale during any upcoming steam sales. :D

I think I might go for Space Marine since I've played Mass Effect games.

You're welcome !
I'll have to warn you though that Space Marine is nothing like Mass Effect. It's a pure action game.

Is it like your typical action-shooting games? Games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Tom Clancy, etc. ? Thanks again!
Warhammer is not an FPS(first person shooter) fanchise at all. It is a turn-based strategy game which is very tactical in nature. I'm not a hardcore fan but it is an intriguing franchise to play though. The lore behind the entire series is amazing and really immerses you in the Warhammer universe.

Is it like your typical action-shooting games? Games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Tom Clancy, etc. ? Thanks again!
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this. Space Marine is a third person shooter with a decent melee combat system. As I said the game is just pure action, so it is sort of similar to the games you mentioned.

I would suggest starting with W40k Dawn of War, W40k Winter Assault, W40k Dark Crusade and then W40k Soulstorm in that order.

You could try Dawn of War- Dark Crusade -and this game is based on the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game. This game takes place on the former Imperial Civilised world of Kronus and the local population has been absorbed into the nearby Tau Empire.
71382-warhammer-40-000-dawn-of-war-dark-crusade-windows-front-cover.jpg

You could try Dawn of War- Dark Crusade -and this game is based on the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game. This game takes place on the former Imperial Civilised world of Kronus and the local population has been absorbed into the nearby Tau Empire.
View attachment 22
This was one of the first Warhammer 40k games I had ever played as well as Fire Warrior which came out in 2003 where you played as Kais - Oh the nostalgia!

It's worth mentioning that Dark Crusade and Soulstorm have the best mods. If you don't want to buy everything, then, you can safely skip the original DoW and Winter Assault since the MP in those is dead and I believe they have no mods worthy of mention.

It's worth mentioning that Dark Crusade and Soulstorm have the best mods. If you don't want to buy everything, then, you can safely skip the original DoW and Winter Assault since the MP in those is dead and I believe they have no mods worthy of mention.
I don't normally play any of the Warhammer games with mods because to me, this game is already perfect in its own way. Unless the mods add immersion to the Warhammer universe, I wouldn't really consider them because I like to stick to the main plot as much as possible.

There are a few mods out there that add quite a lot of content I believe. Tyranids, new units for existing races, better a.i. if you're into skirmish etc. I haven't actually tried them since I stopped playing Dark Crusade and Soulstorm a long time ago, but people are saying they're good.

There are a few mods out there that add quite a lot of content I believe. Tyranids, new units for existing races, better a.i. if you're into skirmish etc. I haven't actually tried them since I stopped playing Dark Crusade and Soulstorm a long time ago, but people are saying they're good.
Thanks for the information. I think I'll look them up and see what they add to the gameplay.

If you are into strategy games, you should play Dawn of War 1/2 and their expansions.
If you like third person shooters, you might try Space Marine. Other than those, I'm not aware of any good 40K games. There was a couple of games released in the 90s that are apparently good (or were good at the time), but that is ancient now so I haven't played them myself.
Definitely!

Back