Thinking About Reading The Books - Where To Start?

serbog

I usually play mtg and read a tone of their lore. I was always curious about Warhammer but I just don't want to invest in the figurines.

I went to Barnes & Noble and saw that there is a section for Warhammer alone (few dozen books) and was a little overwhelmed.

Do you guys have any good recommendations where to start or does it matter if I just pick up a random book and start from there?

I wasn't sure if it's all one continuous story like Magic is or are they just random stories?

Thanks!

Picking a random and starting there would probably not be the best idea, but that is just my approach to series in general but maybe for some reason it might work. I would bet no though and start right from the beginning, if you have the time.

I usually play mtg and read a tone of their lore. I was always curious about Warhammer but I just don't want to invest in the figurines.

I went to Barnes & Noble and saw that there is a section for Warhammer alone (few dozen books) and was a little overwhelmed.

Do you guys have any good recommendations where to start or does it matter if I just pick up a random book and start from there?

I wasn't sure if it's all one continuous story like Magic is or are they just random stories?

Thanks!
This is a post I was going to do because I have never really read the books before or play the table-top version of the game. I have only played the 40k series and I have an idea of the lore. There is a lot to cover from what I learnt though so I couldn't tell you where you should really start.

It depends on where you seem interested to read on
The problem is that there are so many spinoffs as well so I am interested in the "canon" or main story books. The Warhammer universe can give the Lord of the Rings a run for its money in terms of the amount of lore and plot points.

You should start in the Beginning and then work your way up. Afterwards you can tackle "Time of Legend" or dive into the Sigmar trilogy.

I would recommend starting with Gaunt's Ghosts series or the Horus Heresy if you want to really get into 40k.

A good book to read for Warhammer 40k, is the Eisenhorn series which includes short stories and novels. Also they have video games based on these books- people really enjoy these books if they like science fiction.
20923621.jpg
You could check this book below, also about the Warhammer Age of Sigmar.
200px-Age_of_Sigmar_cover.jpg 200px-Age_of_Sigmar_cover.jpg

Last edited:
I remember back in 2010, I was looking to get into Warhammer lore but I didn't know wher to start. What I did isi began with Gaunt's Ghost, which in my opinion is the most important 40k fiction.

I remember back in 2010, I was looking to get into Warhammer lore but I didn't know wher to start. What I did isi began with Gaunt's Ghost, which in my opinion is the most important 40k fiction.
Yo must definitely include Gaunt's Ghost.

What factions were in this story and what was the plot of the story? I am also interested to know which factions featured in Guant's Ghost as well. I also want to know why it is so essential to the 40k universe.

Thanks!
I feel you.

I remember the Eisenhorn series but for some reason I am having trouble remembering much and that name is burnt into my head for some reason, but for the life of me I just cant remember.

You should start in the Beginning and then work your way up. Afterwards you can tackle "Time of Legend" or dive into the Sigmar trilogy.
I would recommend starting with Gaunt's Ghosts series or the Horus Heresy if you want to really get into 40k.
I have never read any of the books but I hear only great things. I might start with Gaunt's Ghosts as you have suggested, maybe that way I can get an even more deeper understanding of the games.

I have never read any of the books but I hear only great things. I might start with Gaunt's Ghosts as you have suggested, maybe that way I can get an even more deeper understanding of the games.
Great choice. Gaunt's Ghosts is a good place to begin.

I have never actually read any of the books. I think I might also get myself one of the books to get a deeper understanding of the story.

Back