Chaos God strengths?

AlexZ

So a friend of mine plays 40 K, and as a Sigmar player I've been mulling over getting chaos demons because they can be played in both versions of the game. Just by looking at the warscrolls though, I really can't get a good overview of what the differences between the four gods are could someone just outline what the strength and weaknesses of each of the chaos gods are individually? ( personally I think slanesh looks the best aesthetically, but her lack of units and starter box is driving me away)

Essentially, Khorne is all about close-up damage, plain and simple. Get in, cut people open, bathe in their blood, bugger off. Tends to be weaker to ranged units in my experience.

Nurgle is all about survivability, with units who have a lot of saves and durability, and function as rotting walls of meat with diseased swords. Again, weaker to ranged units, and coupled with their slow movement speed means their extra health is needed.

I'm fairly new myself, but that's the basic gist of each from what I can understand. Although clearly Papa Nurgle is the best of all four by far ;)

Tzeentch is very strong at the moment with tons of good shooting attacks, good mobility (Skyfires, Flamers, Screamers, teleporting with one of the battalions I think), and actually pretty good in combat compared to their 40k counterparts. Good synergy with the Disciples book between units as well.

I haven't experienced much of 40k Nurgle Daemons, but they are very good at the resilience synergies, and augmenting to-wound rolls, plus extra bubble damage with Rot and stuff. Plague Toads are one unit on deck for painting.

Slaanesh Daemons have decent unit variety I think, with all the 40k ones represented, and Soul Grinders and Princes can of course be dubbed Slaanesh (the Princes are especially useful with Slaanesh). I'm working on a Cohort of Slaanesh, as the Daemonettes make decent Battleliners, and all the models within the Cohort gain 1" to movement plus can regenerate if enemies flee near them. I think that's the best Cohort. Of course they're all fast in general, and fairly rendy.

Khorne Daemons have awesome battleliners in the way of Flesh Hounds and Bloodletters, and coupled with some Mortal leaders (Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker, Slaughterpriest) Bloodletters can be buffed up to scary heights....for combat of course. The new Blades of Khorne should prove to be a huge boon to Khorne Daemons too.

So at the moment, straight up power wise, I think Tzeentch has it, though in skilled hands any of the Chaos gods is plenty potent (with Nurgle being the weakest IMHO). Failing those charge rolls and poor timing with combat activation screws anybody over in Age of Sigmar.

Let us digress a bit and not forget however, that might Archaon, little horsey version or huge Dorghar version, both have the Daemon keyword, and all the god keywords. So using him with each of the greater daemons is highly appropriate and friggin amazeballs! You will however want a Sorcerer Lord on horseback too for Daemonic Power, which ironically comes from a mortal :)

I am trying to remember back to all the awesome stuff but most of that has been lost. It is nice to take a little trip through memory lane though reading the above.

The Chaos Gods are powerful entities who inhibit and control the psychic dimension that underlies all physical reality known as Warp. The Chaos Gods strive to convert all mortals to worship and service, so they can dominate the universe.

Back