How exactly does a warp drive work?

AlexZ

I've been looking for an explanation and I'm yet to come with even a vague explanation as to how a warp portal is created for warp travel. Is it gravity manipulation? Some kind of exotic matter? Or something completely different? The answer to this question seems to be glossed over fairly often.

I

I think there is no explanation how it works EXACTLY. The warp drive was invented sometime in the dark age of technology and therefor the knowledge is most probably lost.

What is known is that the warp drive generates a sort of singularity that opens a hole between realspace and the warp-space through which the ship can enter warp-space. In the warp itself the ship can navigate normally with it's conventional drives.

This is one where I almost choose not to know that there are particulars and maybe just rely on a little fantasy. Never hurts to actually know though, I suppose.

I think you're right. As long as the knowledge isn't absolutely necessary to your enjoyment of the game, then I don't mind not knowing some of these things. Besides, I think we can each come up with a reasonably intelligent theory of how this is done, no?

I tried doing a quick search online about how a warp drive works but I didn't really get a straight answer either. Maybe no one really knows...:D or they just can't explain it.

The warp drive is a faster than light spacecraft propulsion system you find in many novels and science fiction shows like Star Trek. If a space-ship has warp drive installed it can travel speeds greater than light. This was invented, kind of to warp space instead of speed up something through space-and is based on some kind of einstein theory.

I think that there is no exact answer for this one because no one really know how it actually works. I tried searching it online and no one really knows. I think our curiousity will always be there and no one could really answer it for us.

Now that I go back and read some explanations and that, it does make me think it is something out of Spaceballs. Classic movie by the way, but no match for ludacris speed.

Back