Am I in a really competitive group?

AlexZ

Or am I a little bit shit?

A couple of months ago i got involved in the LGS 40k night and started arranging games with the lads from there. This is from years of playing with mates at their places or mine.

I've played there 4 times now and I wont count the 1st game as a total... hammering... but the last 3 games I was told would be Fluffy and Fun armies to fight

2nd game - Gray Knights (and apologies if I dont get the names right or attempt to look up unit names)

2 groups of terminators 3 of them lads who are in the Aliens suit that Ripley has to fight the Queen at the end 1 Flyer of some description (I got really lucky and took it out) 1 big ass Titan

Game 3 - Dark Angels, Deathwing, the formation that everyone deep strikes from. Nothing but terminators and Beliel and a landraider

Game 4 - DA again but all terminator ground troops, a few bikers, that Sammel guy.

So even with me using the Traitors Legions formations, I am still getting my ass handed to me by turn 4 or 5. Am I shit or am I playing against seriously competitive players?

I'd probably say it's a combination of both! I think that none of us are as good as we think we are, and it's when we play against others online that we get found out mostly. For me, it seems that no matter how experienced we are, and how many hours we have put in, there is always going to be somebody better than you, and maybe you have just been unlucky finding a group that like you say, ARE extremely good and competitive.

One good thing though is that even though you are getting smashed to bits every game, there is more chance that by playing with them you are gradually getting better yourself and so playing others that aren't as good in the future, you may surprise yourself (and them) and they'll be saying about you what you are saying about those you're playing with at the moment.

That's always been true of all the games that I've ever played. There is always someone that you can beat all the time, and there is always someone who will take you down no matter how good you think you are.

I think it's a general thought in anygame that has PvP. There is simply no "best there is" out there. There will always be someone out there better than you, and you will always be better than someone else. You may try to surpass your enemy who conquered you, but you may also end up being surpassed by an even bigger threat than him. Lifecycle of gaming.

No matter how much you try to align and even things out, or maybe go the other way, it seems to always end up about average where your skill is right in the middle. Seems that way for me at least.

I'd say it might be a bit of both. From the sound of things it may seem like you are simply up against people who may be a bit more experienced and know there way around the game. Hardcore gamers in a nutshell.

It looks like a competetive game,but I am just reading about this game so far-and see they just came out with a new edition at the first of this year(2017). I think though you would find the most competitive players at the warhammer tournaments-but i would just like to build some of the figurines to have around for conversation or show pieces.

Back