How exactly does a warp drive work?

Discussion in 'Warhammer 40,000' started by AlexZ, May 30, 2017.

1. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

I've been looking for an explanation and I'm yet to come with even a vague explanation as to how a warp portal is created for warp travel. Is it gravity manipulation? Some kind of exotic matter? Or something completely different? The answer to this question seems to be glossed over fairly often.

I

2. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

If anyone has any information I'd appreciate it!

3. Robert2D

Robert2D Member

I think there is no explanation how it works EXACTLY. The warp drive was invented sometime in the dark age of technology and therefor the knowledge is most probably lost.

4. Robert2D

Robert2D Member

What is known is that the warp drive generates a sort of singularity that opens a hole between realspace and the warp-space through which the ship can enter warp-space. In the warp itself the ship can navigate normally with it's conventional drives.

5. holmes22

holmes22 Member

This is one where I almost choose not to know that there are particulars and maybe just rely on a little fantasy. Never hurts to actually know though, I suppose.

6. clarissa

clarissa New Member

I think you're right. As long as the knowledge isn't absolutely necessary to your enjoyment of the game, then I don't mind not knowing some of these things. Besides, I think we can each come up with a reasonably intelligent theory of how this is done, no?

7. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I tried doing a quick search online about how a warp drive works but I didn't really get a straight answer either. Maybe no one really knows...:D or they just can't explain it.

8. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Member

The warp drive is a faster than light spacecraft propulsion system you find in many novels and science fiction shows like Star Trek. If a space-ship has warp drive installed it can travel speeds greater than light. This was invented, kind of to warp space instead of speed up something through space-and is based on some kind of einstein theory.

9. dionnextherese

I think that there is no exact answer for this one because no one really know how it actually works. I tried searching it online and no one really knows. I think our curiousity will always be there and no one could really answer it for us.

10. holmes22

holmes22 Member

Now that I go back and read some explanations and that, it does make me think it is something out of Spaceballs. Classic movie by the way, but no match for ludacris speed.