Lore in a nutshell...

Robert2D

I better start off by saying, i really do love AOS... however there are a few things I still can't bend my head around... and that's the lore/fluff. I found the old world of fantasy really easy to engage with. Each race had their own area of a map, they all had their own very defined story and in black and white, although there was a lot of fluff, the basics made sense to be able to explain to any new comers.

I'm not HUGE on fluff, but I do like to have a grip on what's going on around the narrative of my own army... but I'm STILL struggling with AOS. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the realms (are they actually separate worlds cast sporadically throughout space, or alternate realities?), or if it's to do with the huge amount of various factions now (everything seemed a bit more structured before.... for example, there are now different factions of dwarves that come from different realms.... do they coexist happily, or are they in fluff, totally unique?)

I've started off with Stormcast... and there is loads of fluff out there about them in particular, which kinda makes sense.... the whole universe in general though... I find hard to follow. Am I the only one? If so... could somebody give a 'explain like I'm 5' breakdown?!

Loads of fluff sounds about right. It has been awhile but for whatever reason that actually brought up some vivid images, so that is accurate I would say.

The Realms are multiple full realities that are connected through portals called Realmgates. There isn't one "world" so much as each Realm is a world of its own, with its own kingdoms, culture, and history.

We don't know much about them because up until the past few decades in lore time, each Realm has been overtaken by Chaos (except Azyr and Shyish). With the release of the Stormcast, Sigmar was finally able to wage a hard war against Chaos, pushing back enough that mortals could re-establish civilization.

As of the City of Secrets novel, it's been at least a couple of generations since the Realmgate Wars, and cities like Hammerhal and the Living City have begun to flourish.

As for the races, each faction represents a portion of that race's life or culture. For example, Duardin. Dispossessed were regular Duardin (industrious, hammer wielding drunk dudes) that were driven from their mountain homes to Azyr and are now able to reestablish their kingdoms. Fyreslayers are Warrior lodges that are hired as mercenaries for "ur-gold" which is a type of holy gold to make a long story short. The Kharadron Overlords were originally

Back