The Best There's Ever Been?

pwarbi

When Warhammer 40,000 was first released way back in the early 90's, I'm not sure that even the most die-hard fans would have been able to imagine just how popular it was going to go on to be. Along with millions of sales, and numerous updates, Warhammer 40,000 was inundated by a number of prestigious awards so does this mean that when it comes to fantasy gaming, this is probably about as good as it gets?

When did you start playing the series? Was you there from the start or are you a relative newcomer to the Warhammer world? There's no doubt that even if people hadn't played Warhammer till recently they would have known about the series so is it as good as you thought it would be, or have you been left slightly disappointed due to the hype it received on release all those years ago?

Well, i have only started playing very recently, till now, i'm not at all disappointed with the game.

Seeing as your a relative newcomer to the series, what prompted you to give it a go (if you don't mind me asking), and especially so late in the day? Don't get me wrong, the series needs as many new players as it can get, but I often find that people have deliberately avoided the game because they thought it wasn't for them, only to find that they actually enjoy it when they do try it.

Be interesting to see what was putting people off playing the game, and if they regret not giving it a go sooner.

I started playing in 4th edition, and settled on Chaos Marines. Looking back, I think the only thing I like about 40k less these days is there are sooooo many rules now that I cannot easily learn or remember all my enemies' rules! That's a very key goodness to Age of Sigmar, with the app we can actually learn how most of the enemy stuff works and study it.

Also, all these rules interactions, and people trying to look them up or explain them, it takes too damn long sometimes. Formations need to cost points, and I expect they will soon. But otherwise I do like the variety of 7th edition. I miss the more old school artwork of the previous edition rulebooks however; but the current organization is nicer. I think that will also change, with special rules becoming more condensed onto unit rulepages.

But I have enjoyed every edition, even amidst 10 defeats in a row, it was still pretty fun if a little demoralizing (but that's what I get for using a Malal themed Chaos Marines army :)

The thing I liked about Warhammering was basically I can play with my toys, and super bad-ass looking toys, and customize them to my liking! I remember being a kid and all toy soldier fights with GIJoe or He-Man ended up sour because 'my guy can do this' and then 'no he can't!'. Except Crossbows and Catapults, that was the best, and if Warhammer models weren't so expensive or labor intensive I think hurling physical objects across the table at them would be great fun!!!

It was recommended to me by a close friend who was quite amazing at Warhammer. I did play for a couple of weeks but i just didn't find it as enjoyable as i hoped it would be.

I think that I had some similar feelings back in the day when things were first coming out, although maybe not to this degree. It is interesting to think about the excitement back then though about now really knowing too much.

It was recommended to me by a close friend who was quite amazing at Warhammer. I did play for a couple of weeks but i just didn't find it as enjoyable as i hoped it would be.

I've also realised that the game is one of those that people tend to either love or hate. There's no in-between. Personally I do enjoy the game but like you, there are a few people that I have recommended the game to and they simply haven't been able to get into it.

In the past we've spoken about these games being all too similar, but with Warhammer I think maybe the game developers have gone too far the other way and maybe tried to make it too different. That's what's put a lot of people off in my opinion because it does take a little time to get used to.

I have heard some pretty good in between, but I can see where you are coming from. I think it more depends on what the person wants out of it.

I've just started playing around February this year and I'm loving it so far. I haven't played a game that feels medieval and futuristic at the same time and yet mix them both incredibly well that it feels refreshing to play. I don't get why we have mixed reviews for this on steam when its clearly better than what most people say.

I also just started playing Warhammer recently, and so far I love every part of the game. This game appeals to my sense of adventure in a way that no other game has ever done, and I can't wait to see what the developers come up with next.

It was the first Dawn of War game that got me into WH40K. I didn't even know it existed until then. So yeah, been playing it for a while now but to be honest I still play DoW games more than tabletop.

This game was recommended by my close friend and I loved the game the minute I played it. Although there were some parts of the game that I didn't love and enjoy, overall it is an amazing game to play.

Slightly OT, but it's crazy to think how much the WH40K has changed since the Rouge Trader series, in almost every way. I think that was originally meant as a parody, and it has managed to grow into the grimdark universe we have now.

I started playing in 4th edition, and settled on Chaos Marines. Looking back, I think the only thing I like about 40k less these days is there are sooooo many rules now that I cannot easily learn or remember all my enemies' rules! That's a very key goodness to Age of Sigmar, with the app we can actually learn how most of the enemy stuff works and study it.

Also, all these rules interactions, and people trying to look them up or explain them, it takes too damn long sometimes. Formations need to cost points, and I expect they will soon. But otherwise I do like the variety of 7th edition. I miss the more old school artwork of the previous edition rulebooks however; but the current organization is nicer. I think that will also change, with special rules becoming more condensed onto unit rulepages.

But I have enjoyed every edition, even amidst 10 defeats in a row, it was still pretty fun if a little demoralizing (but that's what I get for using a Malal themed Chaos Marines army :)

The thing I liked about Warhammering was basically I can play with my toys, and super bad-ass looking toys, and customize them to my liking! I remember being a kid and all toy soldier fights with GIJoe or He-Man ended up sour because 'my guy can do this' and then 'no he can't!'. Except Crossbows and Catapults, that was the best, and if Warhammer models weren't so expensive or labor intensive I think hurling physical objects across the table at them would be great fun!!!
Wow! That was awesome!

Slightly OT, but it's crazy to think how much the WH40K has changed since the Rouge Trader series, in almost every way. I think that was originally meant as a parody, and it has managed to grow into the grimdark universe we have now.
Hmm. Got your point.

Warhammer isn't my favorite per say but I do love the lore of the Warhammer universe and that is what got me into the franchise. I can't specifically when I started taking an interest in Warhammer but it got me hooked once I laid eyes on this game.

The Warhammer Universe has been infinitely expanded since those days and even now they keep adding new factions to the Warhammer Universe.

Back