What books to get?

AlexZ

I'm recently back into the hobby, mainly because I got the painting bug. I'm almost done with my first group of Stormcast Paladins and I've got a box of Justicars on the way.

I figure I might as well figure out how to play AOS and build toward an army.

What are the books I should be getting? It's a bit confusing. The rules seem free and so are warscrolls, but there's a generals handbook and individual faction books?

First of all, you're starting with stormcast? Great! Buy their battletome. And if you can wait, wait for General's Handbook 2.0 to be released later this year. You don't need it, but it's nice to have if you want to expand to other armies.

And... that's it.

Seriously.

The rules are 4 pages long, which is included in every battletome. All warscrolls, battalions, artefacts, prayers, etc for stormcast is in the battletome. Everything you need to play stormcast is in it. You need nothing else.

Here's a rundown:

• Faction battletomes - self-contained lore + army composition + warscrolls + rules (for the game)
  • General's handbook - detailed rules on how to play narrative, open, or matched plays, of which the latter is the main focus of it. Contains point values for all models ever produced up to that point (caveat: newer battletomes - tzeench and stormcast - have point values of their units in their battletomes so it's not as important to get a general's handbook anymore)
  • Campaign books - realmgate wars, dreadhold, etc are campaign books if you're interested in the lore and specific scenarios that you can play in them. Skip if you don't really care.

As others have kind of alluded to, it'd be a great idea to get the app for your smartphone/tablet if you have one, too. It's a free app and all the unit warscrolls are in it for free. That way you can see all the units of the game any time you want to look something up, either to plan future purchases or just see what your opponents can get up to.

Plus, you know, fun to browse when you're bored

Back