What do veteran players think about the turn system in AoS?

JimGoodman

I've just played my first ever couple of table top games with AoS and had a great time. I'm curious what veteran players thing about rolling for the initiative at the end of each turn. It seems to give and advantage to shooty or magic heavy armies as going first in melee isn't a huge advantage but having two rounds of shooting or magic in a row can have a massive impact on the game. I'm sure this has been discussed already here but I'd like to hear some thoughts. By the way feel free to tell me an idiot for thinking this, like I said I'm totally new.

I've played tabletop for years. Initiative is actually a good thing in my opinion. The problem with having fixed turns is it means games always play out the same, and strategy revolves around "I'm going to put my guys just out of your range so I can 100% charge next turn and won't get shot". Having initiative means a player can take that gamble and not move into range that turn and not bother charging because its a 8" charge but also have to accept the risk he might not win 1st turn and therefore the enemy can move into range and he's missed the opportunity last turn to try and charge

Back